Ah pink ones, turquoise ones, lilac ones. You don’t go to Ladurée for just a coffee. You go to partake in a glorious ritual that has been happening for decades (definitely since the 1930s when their double decker macaron was invented in Paris and the cafe was one of the first to welcome women who were not escorted by men with open arms – fact). It’s a ritual that should involve a great girlfriend, a couple of brightly coloured macarons and cup of your choice (mine would be Earl Grey served in a cute little teapot with matching cup and saucer…so dainty I think I even involuntarily stuck my little finger out).
Ladurée aka macaron heaven. I’ve had macarons and I’ve had macrons. People rave about Ladurée macarons because they are quite simply divine…and beautiful to look at. I think about macarons a lot, but only Laduree’s. I remember the first time I had them. I don’t think I could speak, such was the pleasure. I’ve had to endure watching Gossip Girl’s Blair Waldorf swan around her Upper East Side home eating these and sniffing her pink peonies…and I had macaron and lifestyle envy. So when an old girlfriend (read that as old school friend) catch up was on the cards it meant having a seriously good reason to indulge in my fantasy…at the same time as catching up with said fabulous girlfriend I’ve known since I was eleven. That’s a win, win to me.
Five reasons to go to Ladurée
- You’ve not had a macaron until you’ve had a Ladurée one
- The colours should put a smile on your face and on the people you’re with*
- You will go to a little bit of sugary heaven with each bite
- You can colour coordinate your macaron with your outfit (should you choose to do so)
- No other sweet treat makes a girl feel quite so ‘Audrey’ (no not even a real pain au chocolate)
* If they don’t put a smile on your face or those you are with (even in a wry, ironic way) then you / they need more help than macarons can provide, so I apologise for promoting false hope.
Note: We visited Ladurée at 71-72 Burlington Arcade, London W1J 0QX. Next stop Ladurée, Rue Royale, Paris (I hope)
<a title=”Read Square Meal’s review of Ladurée” target=”_top” href=”http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/89777/Laduree?utm_source=Blog&utm_medium=Blog&utm_campaign=Link”><img width=”230″ height=”125″ src=”http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/89777/get-blog-review/image/large.png” alt=”Square Meal” /></a>