It’s been three weeks since I last blogged. I blog for pleasure and find it very cathartic. However, if there’s no time to blog because life is go, go, go, then I’m not going to lie awake thinking about it…it means life is happening. So lots has happened recently. Some good, some sad and some just blah (well we’ve all got work, washing, cleaning to do!). However, it’s often the sad stuff that makes us truly appreciate the good stuff and find happiness in life’s simple pleasures.
My recent simple pleasures (e.g. not spending two weeks lying on white sand with a glass of prosecco in my manicured hand…ha! Though I clearly wouldn’t complain if that had happened):
- Family time…with a decent supply of hugs (if you know my family, you know we like hugging).
- Being a ‘tourist’ in Brighton…hanging out with the Mods (on the Bank Holiday), promenading with ice-creams, going on the pier, lying on the pebbly beach and deep breaths of sea air! (I’m sure it helps you sleep well).
- Going on the carousel on Brighton beach…whoopee! (my third time this summer…lucky me).
- Going on the ‘magic tea cups’ at the Bank Holiday Fun Fair on Hove Promenade.
- Fish and chips…a takeaway from Bardsley’s (the best in Brighton) and a family ‘holiday’ meal complete with a carafe of wine in the Regency (with a gaggle of tourists…and happy memories…perhaps the first place we had dinner in Brighton?).
- Catching up with friends…over wine…over mugs of tea…any which way we can.
- Laughing with friends…and rolling eyes over some of the stuff that kids do…yeah, you know.
- Laying a proper dining table every evening with napkins (with heirloom silver napkin rings), flowers and candles…yes, it’s now getting dark enough in the evenings!
- Discovering a great big discount code to buy winter boots for a steal in August…ready for my autumn wardrobe and trip to Copenhagen.
- Watching House of Cards.
- Watching films that make you think…we loved Boyhood (and ‘that’ song from it) and really enjoyed the slightly odd Frances Ha!
- Reading the weekend papers over fresh coffee and croissants…this is how our family rolls on a Saturday morning…though ballet lessons start in September! (btw, we get the FT Weekend…it’s the best…don’t let the ‘financial’ bit put you off).
- Listening to BBC 6 Music and the Iggy Pop show from 4pm on Sunday…if you love music, you’ll love this…perfect.
- Watching our beautiful garden grow and planning for next season.
- Cycling round our great city and feeling the wind in my hair (actually I don’t as I’ve got my helmet on but standing up on a bike and whizzing down a hill I feel totally free! Whee!)
- Gin and tonics…whilst we cling to the end of the summer then whisky season starts…(ah that first sip is always the best).
- My daughter’s smile when I wake her in the morning…and I have to quickly remember whether I have a fairy, a princess, a dinosaur, a duck, a ‘tigger’ or my favourite…a daughter who wants a hug, then breakfast.
- What are your simple pleasures?